The transportation of students to and from school is an important function of the school district, and transportation by the school district is a privilege and not a right for an eligible student. The behavior of students and employees on the bus/van is a significant factor in the safety and efficiency of school transportation. Student and employee misbehavior increases the potential risks of injury. Therefore, the school district believes that videotaping student passengers and employees on the school vehicles will encourage good behavior and, as a result, promote safety. The purpose of this policy is to establish a school bus videotaping system.
II. GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
1. The school district will begin to equip each and every school bus owned, leased, contracted and/or operated by the school district with a fully-enclosed box for placement and operation of a video camera and conspicuously placed signs notifying riders that their conversations or actions may be recorded on tape.
2020欧洲杯时间安排2. A video camera will not necessarily be installed in each and every school vehicle owned, leased, contracted and/or operated by the school district, but cameras may be rotated from vehicle to vehicle without prior notice to students.
2020欧洲杯时间安排3. Video cameras will be placed on a particular school vehicle, to the extent possible, where the school district has received complaints of inappropriate behavior.
2020欧洲杯时间安排B. Use of Videotape
1. A videotape of the actions of student passengers and/or employees may be used by the school district as evidence in any disciplinary action brought against any student or employee, arising out of the student’s or employee’s conduct on the vehicle.
2. A videotape will be released to the public only in conformance with the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act, Minn. Stat. Ch. 13 and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, 20 U.S.C. §1232g and the rules and/or regulations promulgated there under.
2020欧洲杯时间安排3. Videotapes will be viewed by school district personnel on a random basis and/or when discipline problems on the bus have been brought to the attention of the school district.
2020欧洲杯时间安排4. A videotape will be retained by the school district for a period of six (6) weeks, or until the conclusion of disciplinary proceedings in which the video tape is used for evidence.
- Minn. Stat. Ch. 13 (Minnesota Government Data Practices Act)
- Minn. Stat. § 121A.585 (Notice of Recording Device)
- Minn. Rules Parts 1205.0100-1205.2000
- 20 U.S.C. § 1232g (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)
- 34 C.F.R. Secs. 99.1-99.67
Adopted: March 13, 2007
Revised: April 19, 2016
Revised: October 18, 2016
Reviewed: August 7, 2018
Reviewed: March 19, 2019